Saturday, April 03, 2004

march flashbacks - 1

Just realized that, in retrospect, the last month was awesome for me.
So before i get my thoughts straight, i'll just be posting small flashbacks. For your amusement.

The Place: Cavalluccio, Porto
The Time: Friday or Saturday night, about two weeks ago (end of selections)

Pleasantly chatting away with this year's friuli selection committee, reminiscing old beatles songs.
At one point, someone remembers the words to P.S. I Love You. I was the only other one at the table who knew that song.
Beautiful childhood memories come back to me, of when my parents would take us to Lubiana, and every time we would buy a new Beatles LP, these gigantic 33'' records, perfect replicas of the originals, YUGOTON brand. Still have them, of course. And spending afternoons listening to them over and over again, and remembering the harmonies, and thumping away to Paul's Bass. And George Harrison still alive and well, releasing Cloud Nine which i got for my ninth birthday, and Got My Mind Set On You always on the radio.

Then the deranged philologist within me kicks in, and i pout out the fact that PS I Love You wasn't even written by the Beatles, it was actually a Burt Bacharach song.
This sudden change of focus within our discussion brought no sympathy whatsoever.

And today i went back and checked: it really was a Lennon/McCartney song. Bugger.